Vatsy-Speaks

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Diffrentiating Life!!!

d/dx {LIFE}


When the derivative of a function at a point becomes zero, there exists a local maxima or a minima....We were taught this in higher secondary and the explaination given was that at every local maxima or minima the slope changes its sign, and that's why the slope becomes zero at that point and hence the derivative is zero।

I know it sounds stupid but in my school days I was really amazed by this maxima and minima funda। I used to think whoever has discovered this must be a genius. As I grew up, and become more mature (They say I still have a long way to go ;-)) I realised that there is nothing great about this discovery. We see this funda every day in our life. We have our highs and then thing start to fall apart. We have our lows and then things start to get better.Though not in a perfect sinusoidal way but life does go up and down every now and then.

Talking about sinusoidal stuff, I remember calculating Root Mean Square for different function to get some kind of average। We never used to deal with the peak value. It was always about averages, and mostly root mean square. Root mean square made sure that you get positive values at the end, because we always were concerned about the magnitude and never about the sign. So how is our life different from all those RMS calculations in current electricity. The problem with us is that we are always considered about the Peaks!!! We always talk about the happiest day and the saddest day of our lives.We take out only positives from the happiest day and only negatives from the saddest day. We don't realise that life is all about averages, it all evens out they say!!! .

We don't realise that the peaks are less, the most common is an ordinary day, when nothing great happens, when there is nothing special to talk about ( A friend of mine for last one year has always given one same answer to this question every single day॥ Wassup ? and the answer is nothing special) But we are always considered about the peak days when we were happiest and when we were really sad।

Just few examples। Few months back I had one hell of a day from morning to late night a thing that has to go wrong went wrong and things that I expected will never go wrong also went wrong. At the end of the day when I reached home I was in a terrible shape, it was so easy for me to cry that day (considering the fact that I'm very emotional॥ ;- ) ) but I did not. Infact i was smiling. I don't know why but I found the whole day very funny. It was like one nightmare where all dreams where shattered, all planning went for a toss, and things that you really valued for and loved were in a bad shape.

Similarly about an year back I had a happiest day of my life।Everything that has to go right was going right. It was like a beautiful dream painted with colours of reality. I think even if I had asked for a moon that day I would have got it. At the end of day I really felt like crying , to be frank it was tough to believe what had actually happened.

Taking the maxima minima part first, things did get better than what had happened on that nightmarish day। The next day everything started falling in place(well almost) and as the say life goes on, it went on...

And things did start to fall apart after that dream day, infact it fell apart so much that I for once thought that the happiest day shouldn't have come!!!


Now Root mean square teaches us about how life is not about only peaks। It is about average of what happens everyday। It is about the small happiness we get everyday and small teachings we learn everytime we fail। And no matter how deep ur trough is, or how high your crest is, what comes out after doing a root mean square is a postive value hence proving what SRK said...



Hamari filmo ki tarah, asal zindagi mein bhi anth mein sab thik thak ho hi jata hai aur agar nahi hua to Picture Abhi Baaki Hai Doston!!!

P.S. - May be I am not able to convey what I actually want to write, but whenever you are not feeling good and think that God has been unkind to you, just sit back and relax.. Try connecting the dots and believe me when you see the bigger picture, you'll realise its not that bad :-)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good one ! Keep going !!!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 10:45:00 AM  
Blogger Shruti said...

It was a good one.. but as u know, i was never studied maths( after 10th) this maxima and minima thng didnt enter my grey cell area.. but the basic thing which u wanted to convey.... Be happy and take life as it comes, coz something great is surely stored for u.... is clear....

Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger broca's area said...

very well constructed!!!:)))...liked the concept!!!

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home